Safe core exercises video for women teaches you how to correctly activate and exercise the deep core abdominal muscles with a series of pelvic floor safe abdominal exercises.
Presented by Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist Michelle Kenway, this free online abdominal core exercise video includes a series of floor-based abdominal core exercises designed to improve the strength, control and tone of the lower abdominal muscles (deep abdominal muscles) and avoid placing undue pressure on the pelvic floor. Michelle is the author is Inside Out the internationally acclaimed pelvic floor safe exercise guide for women.
Please scroll down to view ‘Safe Core Exercises’ video
Who will Benefit from Safe Core Exercises?
Safe core exercises is a short instructional video designed for women with:
- Weak pelvic floor muscles;
- Weak lower abdominal muscles;
- Pelvic prolapse;
- Previous prolapse surgery;
- Previous hysterectomy; and/or
- Previous bladder surgery.
Safe Core Exercises Video Duration: 9 minutes
Safe Core Exercises Video
Safe Core Exercises video demonstrates and outlines:
- How to correctly activate and exercise lower deep abdominal muscles;
- Abdominal exercises to avoid with increased risk of pelvic floor dysfunction;
- A series of pelvic floor safe exercises for the deep abdominal muscles that place minimal pressure on the pelvic floor; and
- Expert tips for correct posture and performance of these exercises throughout.
Why are Safe Core Exercises Important?
Some intense abdominal exercises are unsafe for women with or at risk of pelvic floor problems. Intense core exercises include some abdominal core exercises in regular exercise classes including some intense Pilates and Yoga exercises. Intense core exercises place downward pressure on the pelvic floor causing the pelvic floor to become stretched, floppy and weak.
Unsafe abdominal exercises can increase the likelihood of to:
- Vaginal and/or rectal prolapse;
- Recurrent prolapse after previous prolapse surgery;
- Prolapse after a hysterectomy:
- Increased pelvic floor muscle tension, and;
Always seek your doctor’s approval before commencing any new exercise program and immediately cease any exercises that cause you discomfort.
Note to ensure the smooth viewing of the video, it is recommended that you press on this play arrow and then when the video starts loading you press the ‘pause’ button until you can see that the entire video has loaded. This will help avoid the video stopping to load while you watch.
Will Core Abdominal Exercises Flatten your Stomach?
No, there is a myth that says to flatten the stomach intense abdominal exercises are required. It is just not possible to lose weight from the stomach by “spot reducing” with exercise. Gentle deep abdominal core exercises such as the ones shown in this video may help to flatten the appearance of the lower belly, however to flatten the abdomen weight loss is required from the whole body.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR, Michelle Kenway
Michelle Kenway is a Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist and author of Inside Out – the Essential Women’s Guide to Pelvic Support. The Inside Out exercise DVD and book show women how to strengthen the pelvic floor and exercise effectively with pelvic floor safe exercises.