What are the best exercises to lose weight with prolapse problems?
If you’re dealing with prolapse or previous prolapse surgery the best exercises to lose weight are low impact exercises.
Read on now to learn:
- What are low impact exercises?
- What are the best ranked low impact exercises for burning energy?
- Tips for using this information to help you lose weight
Prolapse Exercises e-Book
International best selling prolapse exercise guide for women with prolapse and after prolapse surgery.
Prolapse Exercises teaches you how to:
- Exercise safely after prolapse surgery
- Reduce your risk or repeat prolapse
- Avoid unsafe exercises
- Choose pelvic floor safe exercises
- Reduce your risk of prolapse worsening
- Improve prolapse support
- Increase your strength and fitness
- Strengthen your core
- Lose weight
What Are Low Impact Exercises?
Low impact exercises minimise the impact of landing on your joints and tissues.
Low impact exercises usually involve one foot in contact with the ground throughout. Exercises where the body weight is supported are also classified as low impact exercises (e.g. machine-based exercises such as cycling and water-based exercises).
Low impact fitness exercises help women with prolapse problems by minimising the landing impact and associated downward forces on the pelvic floor. Low impact exercises are beneficial exercises for losing weight with prolapse problems because they can allow for:
- Long duration exercise
- High intensity exercise – interval training for weight loss.
Long duration and/or at high intensity exercise both help you burn energy for weight loss and weight management.
The Best Ranked Low Impact Exercises For Burning Energy
The energy requirements of activities are measured in METS. This graph below shows you low impact exercises and the associated energy requirements in METS for an average adult.
You can see that the exercise with the highest energy requirement is road cycling (fast) burning around 16 METS.
In contrast brisk walking has a much lower energy requirement.
The amount of energy burnt with each of these exercises depends upon the intensity of the exercise and how long it is carried out for.
Tips For Low Impact Exercises To Lose Weight
There are a number of ways you can use this information to help you promote or maximise weight loss.
- Choose low impact exercises that avoid prolapse symptoms
- Perform exercises that burn the most energy – especially if you’re time poor
- Vary the exercises you choose on a regular daily and weekly basis
- Perform alternating high and low intensity low impact exercises to optimise abdominal weight loss
- Increase the duration of your low impact workout to maximise the energy you burn.
1Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Herrmann SD, Meckes N, Bassett DR Jr, Tudor-Locke C, Greer JL, Vezina J, Whitt-Glover MC, Leon AS.(2011) Compendium of Physical Activities: a second update of codes and MET values. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Aug;43(8):1575-81.